Tuesday 12 April 2011

To begin...

The place to start is often so daunting. Artists are often intimidated by blank canvasses, writers by blank pages. It is often good to leave the task at hand, go for a walk, clear your head and return to the task afresh. I imagine writing here could be a little like this - I don't mean by this that I will have to clear my head in order to type anything here, but rather that what you read here may resemble the clutter in my head that needs removing!

More to the point, I need to know why I want to be broadcasting thoughts to whoever happens to read them. Why do this at all? Well, I'm not entirely sure, but I'll have a go at answering this. Firstly there is a part of me that tends towards hoarding. I hoard things. Not good things, but rather, I like to think that I keep the fleeting bits of ephemera that most people cannot throw away quickly enough. This personality trait is very unhealthy, as it clogs you up with rubbish and stifles new experience; the ephemera turns to litter.

But no, I will make the start of this, the thing that will motivate the whole undertaking, something better than all this. In place of clutter and rubbish, I hope to pursue (and possibly even create) all things beautiful, inspiring, edifying, terrifying, sublime, dizzying, fragile and fleeting, and simply to share them.

Well, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment